Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Glasgow Central Mosque

Glasgow Central Mosque is located on the south bank of the River Clyde in the Gorbals district of central Glasgow.

The Mosque

The Mosque was built in 1983 and was formally opened in 1984 by H E. Abdullah Omar Nasseef, the Secretary General of the Muslim World League. Built on a 4-acre (16,000 m2) site, the present Mosque is shortly to be enhanced by the new Islamic Centre to be erected on an adjacent 4-acre (16,000 m2) site. The new Islamic Centre will contain a general purpose hall, sports and changing facilities, meeting rooms, library, cafeteria and facilities which will offer education and welfare support to the community.
The mosque was built at a cost of three million pounds. The courtyard of the mosque is in keeping with the traditional Arabesque style. It is enclosed on one of its sides by gardens and on the other by a long fa├žade of arched windows. The main entrance arched with etched glass doors of a floral design. In the courtyard is one of the most noticeable features being the Minaret (tower) where traditionally the Muezzin recites the call to prayer stands.
The other more noticeable feature is the dome above the main prayer hall allowing natural light into the building. Inside the mosque is a recess which is called the Mihrab where the Imam stands. The Mihrab points in the direction of Mecca.
Enclosed in a walled garden and with a separate minaret, the mosque combines Islamic architecture with the characteristic Old Red Sandstone material used to build many of Glasgow's buildings. The building can accommodate 2500 worshippers.

Imams

There are currently three Imams:
  • Abdul-Ghafoor.
  • Habib-ur-Rahman.
  • Omair Malik.
Muslim Cultural and Welfare Centre

The Islamic Centre is now the Central Institution for the Muslim community and this is the largest community centre in Strathclyde. The mosque itself is Scotland's largest mosque.

This centre provides services not only for Muslim elderly people, adults, youths and children, but also serves the non-Muslim community groups of various ages, and educationalists from various institutions. Its services support the whole of the Strathclyde region.

Edinburgh Central Mosque

Edinburgh Central Mosque (officially known as the King Fahd Mosque and Islamic Centre of Edinburgh) is located on Potterrow near the University of Edinburgh central area and the National Museum of Scotland. The mosque and Islamic centre was designed by Basil Al-Bayati, and took more than six years to complete at a cost of £3.5m.The main hall can hold over one thousand worshippers, with women praying on a balcony overlooking the hall. The mosque holds chandeliers and a vast carpet, with very little furniture.
The architecture combines traditional Islamic features with some Scots baronial style.



History

Prior to its construction, there was no mosque large enough to fulfill the needs of the Muslims in the city centre of Edinburgh. As the Muslim population increased a large mosque became viable. Eventually, the project was able to purchase land from the City Council with the proviso that an existing listed building be preserved and used. The project ran into funding difficulties; but these were solved when King Fahad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia donated 90% of the project's total cost. On 31 July 1998 (8 Rabi' al-thani 1419) the mosque was opened by his son Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Fahd, who was also the project patron.

The Mosque


Main prayer hall

The main hall is where the Friday prayer (Jumu'ah) and the five daily prayers (Salah) are held. There are two chandeliers, a vast carpet, and chairs for the elderly and disabled. Many short lectures and small discussion groups are held here, although such groups must give notice. The mosque also offers funeral services and the prayer Salat al-Janazah. There are two side entrances to the hall and a small glass room which also has a separate entrance/exit with a ramp for the disabled.

Ablution

There are separate ablution (wudu) rooms for both male and female. The males' contains 21 ablution washers, nine flush toilets, four Squat toilets and six sinks. A toilet for the elderly is also available near the door. The room is constantly cleaned and is very modern. As of 2010, the mosque has received additional funding and the decision has been made to upgrade the ablution facilities to accommodate more people; there will also be a separate room for the Islamic funeral process of bathing the dead body and enshrouding.

Multi-purpose hall

A second hall is located downstairs; it is much smaller than the main prayer hall. The room is sometimes opened for Friday prayers and Salat al Eid. The room is mainly used for storage but opens every year for the Islam Festival Edinburgh.

The library

There is a medium sized library that holds a large variety of Islamic books for selling and lending. The library is opened from the morning to evening. It also holds many services such as classes in Arabic and the Qur'an as well as group discussions such as the "Brother circle", since there are two medium sized tables and chairs.

Mosque Kitchen

The Mosque Kitchen (formerly called the Lunch Box) was opened to the public in 2004. It offers takeaway, outdoor tables and catering. The capacity is roughly 80–100. The menu consists of halal southern/middle eastern Asian food, including various meat and vegetable curries, with rice or naan on the side. Barbecued chicken, shish kebabs and corn on the cob are also available on some days as well as barbecues on Saturdays. The sitting area is specially opened at Iftar time during ramadan for the Muslims opening their fast. In August 2007, the Scotsman newspaper placed the Edinburgh Central Mosque's adjoining restaurant top of their list of Best Festival Food. Also the Mosque Kitchen has moved to indoor seating round the corner to 33 Nicholson Square amidst a dispute with the mosque.

Islam Festival Edinburgh

The Islam Festival Edinburgh (IFE, and also known as the Discover Islam Exhibition) is part of the Edinburgh Festival. It is held in this mosque during the entire month of August every year. The mosque is opened to the public, who are free to come and go as they please. The exhibition has been a massive success and has been given good reviews.
The exhibition is held in the multi-purpose hall where Muslims and non-Muslims are welcome. There are posters that teach about specific Islamic topics, such as Islamic art, Qur'an translation, and so on. Entrance is free and there are no restrictions on entry, though visitors are reminded that they are in a place of worship.
Usually special events are held on Saturdays. For example, every year there is usually a weekend class on Arabic calligraphy and a presentation of Arabic art. There are also lectures from various figures, for example Abdul Raheem Green and Dr Jamal Badawi. Many speakers come back each year, for example Farkhanda Chaudhry MBE who in 2007 gave a talk on "Women and Islam" and in 2009 "Women, Islam and Liberation". There is also Idris Tawfiq with "Who's afraid of Sharia law?" and "The Muslim Jesus" throughout the last couple of exhibitions. Several well known people have visited the exhibition, including the First Minister's advisors, and MPs like Sir Menzies Campbell.



Shah Jahan Mosque

The Shah Jahan Mosque (also known as Woking Mosque) is the first purpose-built mosque in Britain built 1889 in Woking, 30 miles south-west of London in Oriental Road.

 Construction

The Shah Jahan Mosque was built in 1889 as one of the first mosques in Western Europe by the Orientalist Dr Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner in Bath and Bargate stone in indo-saracenic style commissioned by Shah Jahan, Begum of Bhopal (1868–1901), and maintained since then as a Waqf.
Shah Jahan Begum made sizable donations towards the building of the mosque and also contributed generously towards the founding of the “Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College” at Aligarh, which developed into the Aligarh Muslim University.
A drawing of the Woking Mosque by the architect W. I. Chambers was published in The Building News and Engineering Journal, dated 2 August 1889, shortly before the Mosque was completed. It was opened to the public in October or November, 1889.

Ahmadiyya period

The mosque fell into disuse briefly between 1900 and 1912. 1913 Leitner's son was on the point of selling the mosque to a developer. The Indian lawyer Khwaja Kamal-ud-Din, who had just arrived in England, was instructed by Noor-ud-Din the first successor of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, founder of the Ahmadiyya movement to establish an Islamic mission in the mosque. Khwaja took the case to court arguing that the mosque was consecrated ground and enjoyed the same rights and status as a church. He won and as a result was able to purchase the mosque and its grounds for a nominal sum from the inheritor. The Woking Muslim Mission was established.
Imams of the mosque include: Khwaja Kamal-ud-Din, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din, Maulana Abdul Majid, H. E. Shaikh Hafiz Wahba, Mr. Marmaduke Pickthall, Maulana Muhammad Yakub Khan, Mr. William Bashyr Pickard, Maulana Mustafa Khan, Khwaja Nazir Ahmad, Maulana Aftab-ud-Din Ahmad, S. M. Abdullah, Maulana Muhammad Yahya Butt, Mr. Iqbal Ahmad, Mr. Ghulam Rabbani Khan, Maulana Sheikh Muhammad Tufail.

Today

Head Imam of the mosque is Hafiz Muhammad Saeed Hashmi (MA Political Science, MA Islamic and Arabic Studies). It is a Grade II* listed building.

Sunday, 6 November 2011

Telford Central Masjid

The Shropshire Islamic Foundation's Telford Central Mosque original building at 41 Tan Bank.

The current Telford Central Masjid in Tanbank is relatively small compared to the growing Muslim community in Shropshire. The new mosque headquarters on King Street will be the largest in Shropshire.
The £1.2 million refurbishment will take the building back to its former state when it opened in 1953. Mr.Saleh Laher the previous Chairman of the Trustees had said that it will be "redesigned so the 1953 fascia would be seen and the 'beautiful' courtyard with wooden beams would be the central prayer room" and would be restored "to its original condition."
It has been agreed that the new mosque "would not have a dome or a minaret" and that it would look "like a Northern African mosque with a castle frontage" and would "be created out of the four existing buildings in the complex."

Shropshire Islamic Foundation


The Shropshire Islamic Foundation (SIF) is located in the English county of Shropshire.
The Foundation owns, operates from, and manages the 'Telford Islamic Academy', at 88-90 King Street, Wellington, Telford and the 'Telford Central Mosque' at 41 Tan Bank, Wellington, Telford.
The Mosque, as a majority, operates under the Hanafi school of law and is a Sunni mosque providing Islamic education to children of all ages. This is the main mosque in Shropshire and has a community consisting of Pakistani, Afghanis, Bangladeshi, Indian, Turkish, African and Middle Eastern all praying together.
The Foundation is a registered charity - registration number 1112127, with the trustees being Dr. Mohammed Mujahid Hussain Qureshi - Chairman of trustees, Mr. Shah Sawar Bhatti and Dr. Shaukat Ali
Shropshire has only one other far smaller Mosques, the Jamia Masjid Gousia, aka the 'Regent Street Mosque', a Sufi - Bareilvi/Barelwi themed Mosque in Wellington.

History

The foundation itself is run, and operates, from the central Mosque (Masjid) in Telford, Shropshire, located at 41 Tanbank, Wellington, operating since 1980.
In 2005, the foundation bought the disused Territorial Army building in Wellington, Telford, located at 88-90 King Street and in 2007 made a planning application (W2007/0667) to convert it to a mosque, operating as the new headquarters of the Shropshire Islamic Foundation.
Dr Abdul Bari is the Leader of the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) whom gave the reason for the need for converting a much larger Mosque when stating: "In Shropshire the Muslim population is growing: it is quickly outgrowing the county's two Mosques and there are plans a-foot to transform Wellington's old Territorial Army centre into a new Mosque that would house 800 worshippers."


Community views sought over TA mosque plan and the Mosque leaders, through the local media, kept the community updated of their plans.
On August 10, 2007, the Shropshire Islamic Foundation were informed that their application was accepted by Telford & Wrekin Council. but will cost £1.5m to convert.
The foundation is led by the trustees who are chaired by Dr. Mohammed Mujahid Hussain Qureshi.
Facilities

With the new premises the Shropshire Islamic Foundation hope to cater for occasions attracting approximately 1000 people. It will be the only mosque in Shropshire where women can pray and it will be the biggest in the county.
The Shropshire Star newspaper reported that "The plans also include a flat for the imam, two shops for religious goods and community rooms, and converting part of the building into a mortuary to facilitate the traditional preparation of bodies for an Islamic burial."
There will be separate prayer facilities for women, a room for funerals, a community hall and classes for children to learn Arabic and Qur'an reading.


Thursday, 27 October 2011

Medina Mosque

The Madina Mosque or Madina Masjid, also known as the "Wolseley Road Mosque", is the first purpose-built mosque in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. After some problems with funding, the project was completed in October 2006. Users of the mosque raised several million pounds to pay for the new mosque and Islamic centre which includes 19 rooms and two large halls, a library and a day centre. The project is estimated to have cost £5 million. The mosque was built on Glover Road, Sheffield, and intended to serve the Muslim populations of Nether Edge and Sharrow. It is hoped that the mosque will also unite local communities, and local feedback so far indicates this..The Barelvi Sufi movement runs the mosque.







Inside Sheffield's Islamic landmark

We went behind the scenes of Sheffield's biggest purpose-built mosque and Islamic Centre near London Road, which was funded by the community who use it.

Updated July 2008

A new landmark rises above the terraced houses of the Sharrow area of Sheffield. With its distinctive green domes and tall minarets, the city's biggest purpose-built mosque and Islamic Centre can't fail to grab the attention of locals and passing motorists.


The Muslim community had been looking for a suitable building or site in the south of Sheffield for around a decade and a half. Building of the Masjid - the Arabic word for mosque - on Wolseley Road began in September 2004, when just £500,000 of the estimated £3.5m development costs had been raised. The local community who use the mosque put together the funds to build it.
A former Co-Op stood on the spot of the new mosque and it served as the Masjid for over twenty years. The new building was designed by Archi-Structure Ltd, one of the leading mosque architects in the UK.

In July 2008, the mosque on Wolseley Road is almost finished; the structure and the rooms are complete - it's just the minor detail (the painting, Arabic calligraphy and texts) which is unfinished. It will cost the community £100,000 just to paint the dome from the inside.
Treasurer and Trustee of Sheffield Islamic Centre, Nawaz Khan, speaks about the design of the new building: "We've built Islamic features into it. We've gone for very much a Persian design and mixed it into the local environment, with arches, windows, a dome and  minarets."
Jhangir Ahmed and the Treasurer and Trustee Nawaz Khan took BBC Radio Sheffield's Gareth Evans on a tour around and explained to him about the dome, the washrooms and Muslim traditions.

Faizan-e-Madina Mosque



The Faizan-e-Madina Mosque is situated on Gladstone Street in Peterborough, England. It can hold up to three thousand worshippers and its 30-metre green dome is thought to be one of the largest in the United Kingdom. It cost over £2.5m to build, which was raised entirely through donations (money and gold) only from the local community.
The mosque is noted for the quality of its education and it has hosted leading Islamic scholars and teachers from universities including Egypt's Al-Azhar University.

Subscribe by Email